Video Content Creators & Mobile Journalists Wanted to Spotlight Mission Ocean Stories & Projects
Under the guidance of PREP4BLUE, and on a contractual basis, you will create engaging videos and images to promote the EU’s initiative Mission Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030, including spotlighting partners, projects, success stories, etc. around Europe to generate public recognition of, appreciation for, and engagement with Mission Ocean. This is a role for those age 30 or younger, and selected content will be integrated into our upcoming social media campaign focused on youth and early career ocean professionals in the Mission.
Content Creators & Mobile Journalists (MoJo)
Do you love our ocean, rivers, and waters? You’re possibly an early career ocean professional or studying a relevant subject?
Do you love creating and telling stories on social media? Maybe you are an influencer in your own right?
Are you looking for a short-term, paid project that allows you to creatively combine your passions and build your portfolio on a major level?
We are looking for eight Mobile Journalists (MoJos) age 30 or younger to create and tell engaging stories for our social media channels. The goal is to engage younger generations in Mission Ocean by sparking awe, wonder, and awareness around our ocean and waters through captivating storytelling, thereby driving engagement in protecting these resources.
Location of MoJos
We are specifically looking for creators in the following major sea/river basins (two per basin):
– Mediterranean Sea
– Baltic-North Sea
– Danube-Black Sea
Working with the PREP4BLUE project staff and a specialist social media advisor, you will visibly shape social media efforts to promote the EU’s initiative “Mission Restore our Ocean and Waters by 2030,” including spotlighting partners, projects, and success stories through various video and image formats to generate public recognition of, appreciation for, and engagement with the Mission. Ideally, content will focus on spotlighting ECOP and youth efforts to implement the Mission goals of protecting, restoring, and sustainably using our marine and freshwater spaces through engaging, interesting, and informative content.
Being a MoJo
- You will be provided with on-boarding and training when you join the team.
- You will be required to work on your own initiative, but you will be assigned a mentor and possibly a Lighthouse content representative to help you discover issues/projects/people to cover.
- You will be given a two-month employment contract and $500 to support your content creation (the latter budget is based on pre-agreed expenses and productivity; in specific instances, a higher sum can be requested).
- You will get to network and collaborate with the other MoJos and various subject experts on this project.
- You are age 30 or younger, passionately believe in protecting our oceans and waters, and have an understanding of/interest in ocean/river sustainability issues.
- Excellent, proven history of social media proficiency across all main platforms (TikTok, YouTube, Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn) including reach, engagement, ability to grow followers, and influence behaviour, especially among those age 30 or younger.
- Expertise in social media tools and creating quality written and video content.
- Ideally, at least some experience in planning a social media campaign, including calendar, strategies, goals, KPIs, ad development/purchasing/placement, reputation management, engagement with followers, etc.
- Self-driven with excellent time management skills and a “team-player” attitude
- Personal and professional demeanor, including ability to confidently/politely interview and direct subjects.
- Attend mandatory social media training
- Read and follow social media briefs provided
- Provide regular updates to your social media mentor
- Source 4 compelling stories from your Lighthouse area that align with Mission Ocean
- Create 8 Social Media Mobile Video Stories from your Lighthouse Area (length and content TBD)
- Shoot at least 24 photos which are captioned with 75 words each
- Repurpose these videos for other social networks (Instagram Carousel, Tweets, Facebook Status updates, etc.)
Employer: You will be working for the PREP4BLUE project and have a contract with the German Marine Research Consortium e.V. (KDM) based on German employment law.
Hours: You are free to set your own schedule with the understanding that over the two-month contract you will meet the project deliverables on time.
Location: Work remotely from your location within one of the above-mentioned river/sea/ocean Lighthouses.
Duration: Two months in the time period September 2023 to early 2024. The initial contract is for two months. In some cases, an extension is possible, depending on factors including content quality and public traction.
If this sounds like a match for you, please apply by completing this form.
Closing date for applications is midnight CEST on 28 July 2023.
All applicants will be notified if they are successful in reaching the interview stage.
Interviews will take place on Zoom in August. Selected candidates will receive training at the end of August in order to start the role at the beginning of September.